Monday 6 August 2007

しゅうまつ

So, the bummer is that Bron and I both work on Saturday and Sunday. In return for this, we get some time off mid-week, but all the cool things happen on the weekend. Notwithstanding this, we did get to a couple of events this weekend.

1. 岐阜花火
Gifu Fireworks.

As mentioned in the previous post, there were fireworks in Gifu on the weekend. Apparently the biggest in the country. Somebody told me there were around 30,000 separate rockets set off on the night, but I stopped counting after about 4. Unfortunately, due to a frustratingly frequent combination of bad luck, bad planning, and lack of resources, I was sitting on the ground, with only our 'happy snaps' camera, and didn't have a tripod. Nevertheless, here's a few pics and a video that look okay:


























All week people had been telling me 'Oh, Japanese fireworks, they're better than fireworks in other countries'. I had remained cautiously skeptical, thinking that with modern communication, free trade and what not, that surely one country couldn't keep a secret like this from the rest of the world. Although you may not be able to tell from my photos, it turns out I was wrong.

I also wondered whether I might get bored sitting, watching fireworks for two hours (!) straight. Turns out I didn't.

Oh, and there was beer.

2. World Cosplay Summit

Cosplay is short for Costume Play, and it's basically kiddies dressing up as Manga characters. Apparently they came from several different countries this year, including Denmark. Anyway, the whole thing was crowded, and a little bit annoying, but I managed to get this photo and this video before the camera battery died :(



A crazy chick taking a photo of a crazy guy.



This was an entry from Korea. I think it went a bit awry towards the end, but there are some hella-cool moves still.

Yep, that was our weekend.

So, next time I might tell you a bit about what our daily lives actually hold (home, work, etc.), but, in order to hold up 50% of my bloggy manifesto, here's a funny picture (albeit a little puerile):



Nice Look Nice Life!

Puerile, no? It made me laugh.

See ya.

No comments: